WE ARE MADE FOR THIS MOMENT...
I love these lines from President Obama’s Inaugural Address:
"America's possibilities are limitless; we possess all the qualities that this world without boundaries demands: youth and drive, diversity and openness, an endless capacity for risk and a gift for reinvention. My fellow Americans, we are made for this moment and we will seize it...so long as we seize it together.”
It’s true, you know, whether we’re talking about our country, our companies, our families or our lives. The trick is...to get it. To own it. Toact on it. But why wouldn’t we? Here are the facts:
- “...our possibilities are limitless...” They are. Unless we choose to limit them. For sure, these are tough times - and there is much that is out of our control: Hard things, wrong things, bad things...happen. But there is much that is within our control, too. And as always, that’s where the magic lies...
- “We possess all the qualities that this world without boundaries demands...” There are no boundaries. Unless we choose to erect them - to protect ourselves from the unknown, from potential failure, from looking foolish. But erecting boundaries is a fool’s way out. Anyone can make a case for hanging back. Anyone. But if we were anyone, we wouldn’t have made it this far. And we wouldn’t be longing for the next hill to take...
- “...youth and drive...” We have it - at whatever age we are. Youth and drive is an attitude. Vigor is an attitude. Some of the greatest works from the greatest among us - composers, novelists, playwrights, inventors, entertainers, architects, business people - gave their best gifts at an “advanced age,” whatever that means. So whether you’re 33 or 73, it’s all there for you. If you choose to take it..
- "...an endless capacity for risk and a gift for reinvention.” Risk is in our bloodstream; in our heritage. We all arrived here as immigrants - without guarantees, without much of anything but a vision of what good would look like. Reinvention is the very air we breathe. Re-imagining is a daily ritual. To use a word of the moment, “pivoting” is an art form we’re mastering. It’s what makes us uniquely American and... what makes it fun.
- “We are made for this moment.” We are. Not the last moment or the next one. This one. We the people, we the company, we the family...is us. Not somebody else. And there is nobody better - or more worthy.
- “...and we will seize it...so long as we seize it together.” I love the saying, “I know I have to do it myself. But I don’t have to do it alone.” If ever there were a time to reach up to get a lift - or reach down to give one - this is it. If we do - and we will - there is no force on this earth that can keep us - we, the people - from the thrill of our success. However we define it.
Make no mistake: You were made for this moment.
Gail Blanke’s Lifedesigns©2012 All Rights Reserved
Comments are closed for this blog post