Been in a clearing out mode for a few weeks and found this site by accident but have been using it as my carrot to keep going. Bulldozed through the house, but mostly got rid of garbage aka mail that should have been straight in trash, broken things and such. Finally got through the house, including the guestroom which had become a catchall over the past few months after having established it as a guestroom.
So, today, I continued to purge by emptying my shop/junk room/office. It was full of stuff bulldozed from the house or not dealt with.
1. Threw out all old Christmas decorations that meant nothing to me, were broken, or am not in love with and can't even remember who gave it to me.
2. Threw out the Christmas Tree. It is at least 15 years old, has been falling apart each year, and after brief conversation with hubby, decided that next year we could either get a real one since I no longer have bad allergies or get one with the lights built in, or just one that wasn't falling apart. (Makes for a sad Christmas no matter how frugal I like to be...)
3. Had three iron candle holders that worked well as a threesome in our old home. Tried many times to find a new home for it in this house, but am only using two as a pair, no spot for an array of three. Off to the thrift store...
Stories be not important and are too time consuming, here goes more...
4. Threw out three candles, partially burned, that had been gifts
5. Threw out fax machine, printer, scanner, and all-in-one that didn't work. Fax and scanner worked but were really old and extremely slow, printer quit using because it was cheaper to buy a new printer than buy cartridges for it, and the all-in-one was an HP that didn't work when I bought it, I sent it back for warranty service because the store didn't service, it came back not working and was beyond warranty. Store wouldn't take it back because it was past 30 days and HP wanted to charge me to "fix again". I got frustrated, wrote letters, never got responses so there it has sat for at least two or three years. So, I now have a printer/scanner/fax from Canon that works great.
6. Threw out old bath rug. Ratty and shredding.
7. Three plates taking up space and fulfilling no meaning to me
8. Three rubber duckies. You see, I have a rubber ducky themed bathroom. Well, everyone gave me rubber duckies. Some good, some silly. I have many. Threw out a duplicate, a cheap tacky one not shaped like a traditional ducky, and one that had a promotion for a business on it.
9. Pencil sharpeners bought for good students when realized that kids play during lecture with sharpeners and they are a distraction and nuisance, I decided against it.
10. Brush holders for sink with rubber suction cups. Handy but the holes were too big. The brushes either fell through the bottom or the brushes were too big to put more than one in. Went back to laying brushes in bottom of sink drainer when done with them...just as neat...
11. Old curling brush. Didn't get hot enough. Bought a new one recently that works better.
Enough for now. Need to get back to the Act of Banishment of Clutter!