A few weeks ago, I got really tired of our bedroom being a dumping ground for everything and the last room that got house-cleaned so I spent an entire day while the girls were at school cleaning, organizing, tossing and moving furniture in our room. It is sooooo much better now. It is still a really small room with about 2 ft around all sides of the bed but all of my clothes are on "my" side of the bed, I cleaned out the pile of stuff that was accumulating in the corner, and managed to transfer some of my jewelry from my drawer to the jewelry box my mom passed along which has the perfect compartments for earrings...I love my jewelry in the fitted drawer thing but the earrings got dumped into one compartment and I only ever wore the first pair that floated to the top of the pile!
Here is my toss list for this room:
1. "boxes" passed on to me from my Dad, they're little boxes from dpt stores that no longer exist, back when they really did packaging in a beautiful way. I used to display things like this in my room when I was a teenager but now, they're just crammed in a drawer and quite frankly, I'd forgotten they were there anyway. I will remember them as emblems from a quieter more genteel time, when ladies wore gloves, and hats, but didn't get to play softball.
2. candles & candleholders, again, in a drawer, burned down candles (Gail) and not so pretty glass holders. We're really not candles in the bedroom types, I am too afraid they'll start a fire at an inopportune time.
3. Paper...receipts, articles I won't read, magazines that I won't get around to...into recycling they go. I do keep files for articles and ideas from my mags but I figure if I hadn't looked at the pile in about 3 mos, I didn't need what was there so I closed my eyes and dumped the whole pile into the recycle box...that was serious willpower for me.
4. Old broken jewelry...some of it is not worth saving so it got pitched. There are some pieces that I received as a gift that I will never wear even if they're fixed so am donating all nice broken or old jewelry to church fair, some ladies with steady hands and more patience than I have re-furbish things and sell at our church country fair in the fall.
5. Clothes... knit-shirts that really did not hold up so out they go to VVA for donation (they pick-up! please see their website to help support Vietnam Vets!
they also take other household items) old unders and sox got tossed.
6. Jewelry box...My mom gave me jewelry boxes 2 years in a row for Christmas, I kept my favorite that holds some special pieces from Charlie's Grandpa and am donating the other to the church fair.
Total Bedroom items: 6
Grand Total : 12
To do: (This process is wonderful but it is starting to lengthen my to do list!!)
1. Take my jewelry that needs to be fixed and my watches that need batteries and my charm bracelet w 6 charms that need to go on it to the jeweler ... does anyone know how to put the charms on? Maybe I can do that myself!
2. Get my wedding and engagement rings resized...a recent finger injury (don't laugh..have you ever tripped up the stairs and jammed your finger?! ouch.) and I think just age meant all of a sudden, my ring finger is 1/2 size too small. I really miss wearing them, need to get to the really good jewler for that!
3. New doors for closet...in cleaning out my closet and swapping out the clothes the broken bi-fold door totally collapsed so I took it down and schlepped it to the workshop...my husband, clever boy that he is never throws out a door and always, at some point, comes up with an extremely clever use for them,after years of fighting him, I'm now a convert... Then, last weekend we took down the other door which was hanging by a thread so now I have yet another project on my hands.
1. Wool sweaters...OK Gail, don't cringe...moths had a feast on 2 of my fave cashmere sweaters but I am putting them in my project drawer in my studio to experiment with felting.
That's all from room #2....Charlie is responsible for his half!